Saturday, March 30, 2013

Take that....

  The Delaware County Circuit Court recently ruled that Ball State University could forcibly take private property in order to build a hotel. As if this decision wasn't horrible enough, BSU is also insisting that the victims of the decision should be required to post a $1 million appeal bond before another court can re-hear the case.

  As we continue our decline into a state of unlimited government, we all need to remember that under the court's rationale, if a state college decided to open a satellite school anywhere, any neighboring property would be fair game for any reason. If taking property to build a hotel because people visiting the university might stay in that hotel passes muster, it is hard to imagine a scenario where any taking couldn't be justified by a court.

  More and more, this old quote hits home:

 
"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."...Martin Niemöller

 We may not own a printing company, and we may not live in Muncie, but if we care at all about the right to own property, we need to speak up.

 Now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous K Watts said...

But you DID own a farm and we all have a home....Could you post $1,000,000 bond to fight this if it was your home?

6:25 PM  
Blogger Rex Bell said...

Not a chance.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home