Saturday, November 03, 2007

Struck out....

I've never been on strike. Back before I went into business for myself I left a couple of jobs in order to move to a better job, and I left one job because the the boss and I couldn't come to an agreement. I have been involved in a couple of work stoppages, but that was just because I was tired.

I don't have a problem with people getting together as a group and making demands from another person or group, as long as neither party uses force to settle the issue. I'm sure a great many legitimate and important problems and concerns have been settled using this method over the years.

I suppose just what qualifies as legitimate and important would vary from person to person, and it would certainly be a boring world if we all agreed on everything. I don't mean to downplay the importance of anybody's job, but.....

I read yesterday that the people who write television shows are talking about going on strike. Apparently if this happens the viewing public will be subjected to watching reruns for awhile. Now, I don't watch much television myself. It's been a long time since a new show captured my interest. A little bit of news as long as I can stand it, and an occasional football game as long as John Madden isn't doing the play by play. I haven't watched a baseball game since the last strike. Most of the time when the TV is on it just provides background noise, and Andy and Barney can do that just as well any of the new stuff.

I hope they get their differences worked out before they decide they need to go on strike. I can't see the writers of "Dog the Bounty Hunter" or "Ugly Betty" having a lot to bring to the table that would justify concessions from the other side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home