Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Til death do us part, if this works out...

If we make it until June, Susan and I will have been married 32 years. It was nip and tuck about whether she was going to keep me for a few years, but I'll have to admit that I've felt pretty good about my chances lately. But I may have hit a snag today.

About a month ago, Susan received a letter from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles informing her that the information on her drivers license and her social security account didn't match, and unless the discrepancy was rectified within 30 days, he drivers license would become invalid. It seems her social security account was still under her maiden name. I don't know why. (I suspect that years ago she was hesitant to make the change until she was sure things were going to work out.)

Anyway, having some experience dealing with both agencies before, Susan took her drivers license, her birth certificate, our marriage license, a note from her mother and several hundred dollars in small, unmarked bills to the local social security office. After standing in line, dodging a security guard, taking a number, and standing in line some more, she was informed by a clerk behind the counter that she actually needed a marriage certificate instead of a marriage license.

It seems that certificate is buried in some filing cabinet in Eaton, Ohio, and there is some question about being able to locate it. So she's looking at all of her options, and I'm afraid one of them might be dumping me, leaving things the same at the SS office, and changing her name back at the BMW. I did find out that if the male and female designation was different between the two agencies, a couple of transgender groups have convinced the BMV to overlook that discrepancy. I doubt it will do the same for married women.

So I don't know how all of this will work out, but for my part, I've decided to be on my best behavior when I'm around my wife.

At least until June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home