Saturday, June 06, 2009

When I'm 64...

Thirty-five years ago I gave up a steady, albeit meager paycheck and started my own contracting business. Depending on who you listen to, between 60% and 90% of small businesses fail within five years, which raises a couple of possibilities. Either I beat the odds, or I've failed and just don't realize it yet.

At any rate, when I struck out on my own way back then, my very first job was for a little old lady that lived west of Hagerstown. I put a new roof on her house. I appreciated the fact that an older person would trust a youngster just starting in business to work on their home.

When I picked up the local newspaper today, I saw that Norma had passed away. She was 81 years old. That means the "little old lady" was 46 when I put her roof on. 11 years younger than I am today.

Who knows where the time goes?

But anyway, if I didn't say it before, thanks Norma, for taking a chance on a kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home