Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hey, it's not my fault!...



There was a time when one of the signs of reaching adulthood was the acceptance of responsibility for your actions. Somewhere along the line we decided to start blaming someone else, or addictions beyond our control for our shortcomings.

If you buy a house you can't afford, it's the banks fault. If you spend money you don't have, it's the credit card company's fault. If you don't pay attention in school, it's the school's fault, or some recently discovered affliction.

If drugs or alcohol have taken control of your life, it has to be the fault of the drugs or alcohol, or the person that sold it to you, or some desire that is beyond your control.

I saw the other day that Tiger Woods has allegedly checked into a clinic to cure his sex addiction. I suppose if I was looking to get addicted to something, that would probably be near the top of the list, although at my age it would take a little more effort.

I've made a lot of bad decisions and choices in my life, and I know that every one of those decisions and choices was on me. And making the same bad choice over and over again doesn't mean that I'm an addict, it just means that I'm a slow learner, or that I prefer bad choices over good choices.

One of the most troubling aspects of Tiger's current situation is that the government always wants to outlaw or regulate anything that is considered addictive.

Probably if I was younger it would trouble me more.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger david jones said...

I always liked this example of not taking responsibility for one's actions.

I am sorry I made Pot laced Brownies for the scout troop, I didn't read the recipe before I made it. The recipe said "Magic Brownies" so I went with that, it sounded fun, it's not my fault, it's the fault of the recipe writer. And the other one had icing in the picture, I don't like icing so I made the pot brownies. Sorry I messed up your kids, I still hate icing.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home