Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The same thing, only different...

We can convince ourselves of about anything, I suppose. I used to work with a guy that sprayed WD-40 on his elbow. He claimed it helped his arthritis. I never bought into that, but I think he had convinced himself it really worked.

We're getting ready for an election this fall, and from my conversations with a lot of Republicans, I think they have convinced themselves that they are really the party of smaller government. Some of them get downright mad if you suggest that they aren't.

Now, I hate to make anybody mad, but I do think it's interesting to compare the policy disasters of the last two administrations. The Libertarian Party put this list together a couple of months ago:

Top 10 disasters of the 2009 Obama administration (in no particular order):

1. Cash for Clunkers
2. War escalation in Afghanistan
3. Giant government health care expansion bill
4. Post office loses money hand over fist
5. Stimulus package
6. Expansion of "state secrets" doctrine
7. Big increase in unemployment
8. "Bailout" Geithner as Treasury Secretary
9. Skyrocketing federal spending
10. Huge federal deficits

Top 10 disasters of the 2001-2008 Bush administration:

1. Cash for Car Companies
2. War in Iraq
3. Giant Medicare expansion bill
4. Post office loses money hand over fist
5. Stimulus "rebate" checks
6. PATRIOT Act
7. Big increase in unemployment
8. "Bailout" Paulson as Treasury Secretary
9. Skyrocketing federal spending
10. Huge federal deficits


I'll be the first to agree it's time for something different. I just haven't been able to convince myself we'll find it in the GOP.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home