Friday, February 22, 2008

Money isn't everything....honest...

Libertarians enjoy the well deserved reputation as being the fiscally conservative party where taxation and government spending is concerned, and people who pay attention to such things realize we have little competition in that area. But it’s not just about taxes and spending. Libertarians are also working for a smaller, limited government, although not all Libertarians agree on the best way to accomplish that end.

This week I was elected president of the Hagerstown Plan Commission. I have served on the Plan Commission and on the Board of Zoning Appeals for five years. I understand that Libertarians are generally opposed to government planning and zoning. As I’ve stated before, I’m generally opposed to them myself. I’ve made some suggestions that I think would make zoning a little less obtrusive on property owners over at www.electRexBell.com , understanding that we are still a couple of elections away from eliminating government planning and zoning completely.

I’ve caught some flack from fellow Libertarians that don’t believe Libertarians should be on plan commissions or zoning appeal boards, or other government entities that run afoul of libertarian thought. I suppose that is one way to look at things. But I choose to look at it differently.

Before I was on the BZA, I argued from the gallery for property owners rights when someone requested a variance from the rules, often to no avail. Since I have been a member of the board, I have argued for property owners rights, and to date, every request that has come before the board has been approved. As a Plan Commission member, I have been able to affect favorable rulings for property owners, and I am often the lone and lead voice against proposed forced annexations.

I do appreciate the purist point of view, and I look forward to the day we get enough Libertarian legislators elected to eliminate the current laws that give the government so much control over our lives and property. But until that time comes, I plan on doing what I can to lessen the effect of that control.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rob Place said...

Great job Rex! Keep up the hard work!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the flack generators somehow think you would be corruped? Sounds like they really don't know you. It is good to have someone trustworthy keeping an eye on things and even steering things in the right way.

K. Wickes

7:58 PM  
Blogger Aspergers.life said...

There are two ways to draw criticism.

1 - Do anything

You will be criticised for everything.

2 - Do nothing

You will be criticised for nothing.

It's human nature; not unique to libertarians.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home