Saturday, June 20, 2009

Would you buy a used car from this guy?...

I'm fully aware that I don't have a lot of room to pass judgement on other peoples' personal appearances. It's something I've learned to live with, and since I seldom have to look at myself, except when I'm shaving, I really don't have to think about it all that much.

Still, I do make an attempt to look semi-respectable in my private and professional life, while keeping in mind that the definition of respectable has been modified over the years. 50 years ago, back at Millville Grade School, all of the men teachers wore ties and all of the women teachers wore dresses. That always seemed a bit much to me, and aside from not being to bright, was probably one of the major reasons I never considered a career in education.

If it ever gets to the place that neckties aren't required or expected for any occasion, I'll be a happier man.

Still, when I decided to have my tonsils removed, I appreciated the fact that the doctor looked like a doctor. I'd prefer that my financial advisor drives a nice car and lives in a nice home. It gives me confidence, I guess. And if they want to wear a tie, more power to them.

I feel better if my preacher doesn't wear a "Girls Gone Wild" t-shirt, although it wouldn't seem so bad if my mechanic wore it. I'm not saying that's right. I'm just saying that's the way I feel.

I've never considered getting a tattoo, so I've never thought about what I would want my tattoo artist to look like, if I was considering getting a tattoo. But I did read where a girl went in to get her face tattooed by this guy,


Apparently she wasn't to happy with the result of allowing him to use his best judgement concerning how her face should turn out. I'm not sure what she expected.

But it does cause me to think I'll be a little more selective about who gives me my first tattoo. If I ever consider getting one.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob G. said...

Rex:
I was talking to this point w/ the missus the other day, and I've come to the conclusion that I finally KNOW when all this started....

1971!

My class was the LAST graduating class (1970 - in Philly) to have a REAL dress code (for a public high school, even).

And it would seem like it's been downhill ever since.

Relaxing dress codes...relaxing conduct...relaxing laws...relaxing our tolerance...where DOES it end, right?

Good post!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home