Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hey! Dawson Pope...



The first carpenter I ever worked for was Dawson Pope. When I drifted home from Bloomington in 1971, I helped him remodel my uncle's insurance office in Hagerstown. I hired in at $1.65 per hour, but after my skills increased a little, I decided I needed a raise. I asked for $5.00. I settled for $2.00.

It's not that I didn't think I was worth $5.00. But I did need the job. And $2.00 was better than $1.65. And at least I was moving in the right direction.

But I didn't give up on the dream that someday I might earn $5.00 an hour. I still haven't.

I think running for office as a Libertarian can have the same effect. We may not get everything we want right away, but at least we can get things moving in the right direction. And that's better than the direction we're moving now. And I'm not one for giving up.

Right, Dawson?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home