Thursday, March 22, 2007

When you're right, you're right...

I don't always do the right thing. My wife Susan will be the first to admit that. And it's not that I don't know what's right. It's just that sometimes it's easier to grab a quick burger than to put forth the effort it takes to sit down to a healthy bowl of broccoli, and sometimes it's easier to sit in my favorite chair than it is to put forth the effort to clean up the nasty mess I made out in the shop. Not right, just easier.

That being said, the other day I was talking to a supporter of the Wayne County EDC. That's the group that decides which businesses or projects are worthy of receiving a portion of Economic Development Income Tax that the county started taking from it's citizens a few years back.

I have always maintained that business capitol should come from the business owners and willing investors, the people that stand to win or lose on the venture. Certainly people who have no stake in the business, and no chance of financial gain from it, shouldn't be forced to give up a portion of their income to support it.

The real kicker is, this supporter of the EDC agreed. And I've heard it many times from EDC members, Wayne County Commissioners, and members of the Wayne County Council. They've all said the same thing. They agree that privately owned businesses should be privately supported, but claim that since other states and counties are using public funds to lure business, Wayne County is bound to do the same, right or wrong.

So that's where we are. And we have to realize that if something is right when it's easy to accomplish, it's also right even if it's difficult to accomplish. And even if it's easier to do the wrong thing, we still need to at least try to do the right thing.

Like I said, I don't always do the right thing, but most of the time I give it my best shot.

I'd sure like to see our elected officials do the same, or at least try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home