Thursday, May 10, 2007

Out of step...again


In addition to being a wife, mother, grandmother, small business owner and town court judge, my wife Susan (that's her on the right) is also one of the instructors in our church's step aerobics class. She helped get this group together for the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon on May 5th.

I was proud that everyone finished the race in a respectable time, and I was happy that everyone survived with only some minor difficulties, but I also realized once again why I live in Hagerstown.

38,000 people lined up (as my old pal Stinky Wilmont used to say), shoulder to shoulder and butthole to bellybutton. And that was just the participants of the race. There were at least that many people trying to merge onto or off of I-69, which I was only on because someone decided that at least half of the roads and streets in Indianapolis need to be closed, moved or re-surfaced, and that they all must be torn up at the same time.

As I've said before here, I know a lot of people enjoy the buzz of the city, and I'm sure they would be bored to tears in my little town, but as happy as I was to see the girls finish the race, I was even happier to see the "Welcome to Hagerstown" sign after the harrowing
ride home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home