Saturday, October 03, 2009

Big wheels and little wheels....

I don't know what it is that makes other people want so much control over our lives, including where and when we might be allowed to ride bicyles.

A couple of years ago I posted this clip of a sign that prohibits bicycles on Main Street in Hagerstown.

Now comes this story about a school board in New York that won't let students ride their bikes to school.

The town manager of Hagerstown at the time said that even though the sign said no bicycles were allowed on the streets of the business district, that's not really what it means.

The school board in New York says that it doesn't really have the right to stop anybody from riding a bicycle to school, even though it's policy reads, "The riding of bicycles by elementary pupils to and from school is prohibited".

I wish more people in government would admit that they are making silly laws that can't or shouldn't be enforced.

I don't think the police have arrested any of the people that brazenly continue to ride their bikes on Main Street in Hagerstown, and apparently people that want to ride their bikes to school in New York are going to continue to do so. A little civil disobedience once in a while is a good thing, I think.

I haven't owned or rode a bicycle for 40 years, but if I had one, and since it's downhill to Hagerstown from my house, I'd probably ride it right down Main Street.

The rebel in me, I guess.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck said...

"A little???"

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home