Saturday, November 20, 2010

It don't matter to me...

Earlier this year, the folks over at NASA informed us that an earthquake had slowed the rotation of the earth by about a millionth of a second per day. I thought maybe I noticed a difference at first, but now I'm not so sure. I guess if I want to believe the earth is slowing down, I'll just have to take their word for it.

Last week, I read that some scientists had isolated some anti-matter. I started reading about what anti-matter is, but it gave me a headache. So I'm still not sure it is, but according to the story, these scientists isolated 38 anti-matter atoms for two tenths of a second. Then they lost them. I think one of the scientists thought there were actually 39 atoms, but one of them was hiding behind another atom and they just didn't know it.

I looked at the picture they said they took, and I couldn't see any of them, so I think I'll just go with the guy that said there were 39. When it comes right down to it, who's to say if there were 38, or 39, or any at all?

I've also heard a lot of people claim recently how the government bailout of General Motors saved GM and possibly the entire nation from economic collapse. I've also heard people claim that the government had no business loaning or giving taxpayer dollars to a private company, and that if GM failed because of poor business practices, another company would have taken up the slack by using better business practices.

I tend to agree with the second notion. I've always believed that capitalism without failure is a lot like religion without hell. We need something to keep us honest and convince us to try a little harder.

If and when we recover as a nation, I'm sure there will be people who are convinced it was because of what the government has done. And there will also be people like me, who are convinced it was in spite of what the government has done.

But government and economics aren't exact sciences. They're not as simple as counting atoms, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home