Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I been thinkin'...

Susan and I had a babysitting gig in Mississippi last weekend. About 1100 miles, round trip, but well worth it to get to spend some time with our newest grandson, Jackson. He seemed awfully glad to see us, and we were sure glad to see him.

A long drive gives you a lot of time to think, and I got to thinking about how members of a family a few decades ago would move across the country and never see other members of their family ever again. I don't like to travel all that much, but I'm glad we have the option.

Of course, in 1100 miles, I had time to think about a lot of things. I have a lot of friends that drive motorcycles, and I try to watch out for motorcycles when I'm driving. I think sometimes motorcycle riders should do a little bit better job of looking out for themselves, too.

I also think we could save a lot of money if we didn't put so many speed limit signs up along the interstate. It's not like anybody pays any attention to them anyway. And I think they've been working on the same entrance ramp in Terra Haute for the last 14 years that I've been driving through there.

I don't like to see dead animals along the freeway, except maybe opossums, and even though I feel sorry for the deer and coyotes that don't make it across, I always figured they at least had a fighting chance. I mean, if they even made the slightest effort to check the traffic they could probably time things to get through.

But the south has had a lot of rain this spring, and with all the high water, apparently a lot of turtles also decided to cross the road. I have no doubt that they all probably stopped and looked both ways before they started their mad dash across the road. But you know people probably aren't paying attention to those speed limit signs anyway.

You gotta feel sorry for those turtles.

At least that's what I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home