Friday, May 13, 2011

Eating up time....

Gas prices being as they are, I try to stay and work as close to Hagerstown as I can. I related this story about our last venture out of Wayne County last fall. We are getting ready to do a couple of jobs that apparently require building permits over in Henry County.

I've never made it a secret that I'm opposed to the government requiring building permits in the private sector. I figure individual adults should be able to decide for themselves how they want to handle their business arrangements. If one of those individuals feels the need to involve a third party to help them handle the arrangements, that's okay too. I just never thought the government ought to force its way into the deal. Besides, in the 37 years I've been in business, I've never known a permit to do anything more than cost the consumer more money.

Still, I'm learning to better pick the time and place for my battles, so the other day when we broke for lunch, I drove over to New Castle to purchase said permits.

When I walked up to the annex building (I guess like most places Henry County has too much government to fit into just one building)at 11:55, I noticed a sign on the door that read "Closed for Lunch from 12:00 until 1:00". When I walked into the Building Commissioner's offices, I got the distinct feeling that none of the people in the room wanted me to be there any more than I wanted to be there.

I'm still not sure why all of the people in a public office feel the need to close it so they can all go to lunch at the same time, but then, I still haven't figured out what they were all doing there in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home