Sunday, December 09, 2012

Thanks Dawson...

  Forty some odd years ago, I went to work for a carpenter up in Mooreland by the name of Dawson Pope. An interesting fellow to say the least, but not overly talkative. Somebody told me that Dawson was stationed at Pearl Harbor in 1941. I asked him one time if he was there when the Japanese attacked. He said "Yup", and went on driving some nails. I don't remember thanking him at the time, but if I did, I'm pretty sure he didn't answer back. Dawson was like that.

  I read a story in the New Castle Courier-Times yesterday about Dawson and his time at Pearl Harbor. The reporter wrote the story after talking to Dawson's widow and one of his sons. I'm pretty sure if Dawson had still been around to do the interview the story wouldn't have been quite as long.

 My Dad always said that an honest man doesn't have to tell you that he is honest. I think that's probably just as true about a religous man, our a hard-working man, or a smart man, or a humble man. Or a soldier.

 On the other hand, I've had a few encounters with a man who signed up for the Marines, spent 4 years as a cook in Arizona, and is convinced that he single handedly saved the nation, and mentions it every chance he gets. It's not that I don't appreciate his service, but it would mean a little more if he could be a little more humble about it.

  Kind of like Dawson.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home