Friday, June 15, 2007

Thanks Dad, and Happy Fathers Day

One of the best things about getting old, besides being able to hide your own Easter eggs, is being able to tell the same story over and over. Here's one of my favorite stories about when I was growing up.

I grew up on a small farm near Millville, one of eight children. When we finished our chores at home, the boys in the family would often work for neighboring farmers in order to make some spending money for the Mooreland Fair.

One time Oakley Paul hired me to hook the corn and jimpson weeds out of his soybean field. It was hot, hard work. When I rode my bike home for lunch, I told my Dad I wasn’t going back.

He informed me that I had agreed to clean the field, and that I was going to return, and that I was going to finish the job. As I remember, I was pretty mad at him that afternoon.

I think I’ll thank him the next time I see him

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oakley and Dorothy Paul from Milville Indiana are my grandparents. I am the daughter of Joe Paul. I really enjoyed seeing Oakley Paul's name in your blog. Lora Paul Manion

2:42 PM  
Anonymous YourMuchOlderBrother said...

That was probably the same field and relatives of the same Jimson weeds that tried to give up on a couple of years before you did. Dad was already expecting you to not want to go back because I used the same excuse. I also got the same answer form him. Somehow the money seemed much larger before I started hoeing than after I had been working a few hours. Chuck.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home