Sunday, July 12, 2009

Decoration of independence..

Chalk one up for the good guys. Government has a nasty habit of pushing in where it doesn't belong. Occasionally someone manages to push back. A feisty bunch of interior designers just pulled of a small coup in Connecticut,with a little help from the Institute for Justice, and managed to get a really bad law overturned.

A few years ago, the American Society of Interior Designers convinced the legislature there to pass a law requiring anyone who called themselves interior designers to apply for a state license. A lot of professions benefit from government licensing laws, and I've heard some worthy, if perhaps misguided, arguments defending the licensing of some of those professions. Sometimes it's just about limiting the competition.

Danny's been my barber for over 35 years. My visits don't require as much time or attention to detail as they used to, but that's another story. I think he does a pretty good job on me, considering what he has to work with.I suppose Danny has a barber's license. I never really checked, and it wouldn't make any difference to me if he doesn't. I'll keep going back as long as he is in business, and as long as my hair holds out.

And if I need the services of an interior designer, or an interior decorator, or any other professional, I'll decide based on their ability and track record, not on whether or not they paid for a government stamp of approval.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home