Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Some bloating and dizziness may occur...

It seems like there are a lot of commercials for medications on TV these days. Sometimes I have a hard time figuring what the medicine is for. It helps if they mention a malady I recognize early on in the advertisement.

The other day I saw an ad for some type of pill that was supposed to help alleviate depression. Being that it's the dead of winter in Indiana, the ad caught my attention for a moment. But after brief description of the pills benefits, the announcer launched into a speed reading disclaimer about the possible side effects of the product, including, but not limited to,nervousness, weight loss, bloating, dizziness, nausea, skin rashes, diarrhea, head aches, joint pain, nose bleeds, loss of sex drive and thoughts of suicide.

I decided I'd just try to get through the winter as best I could on my own. I was pretty sure if I didn't have full blown depression before I took the medicine, there was a pretty good chance that I would have afterwards.

I see now that President Obama wants congress to have a health care summit to see if they can come up with some kind of a plan to fix the nation's health care problems. Now, that makes me nervous. As I and others have pointed out many time before, a lot of the problems we face in the health care field today are the result of government over-regulation in all aspects of the health care industry. From Medicare and Medicaid, to mandatory insurance benefits, government regulations have helped health care costs increase 400% faster than our wages.

I won't pretend that we don't have some problems in the system to work through if congress doesn't come up with a plan, but I don't believe they're as bad as the problems the government is about to create.

Every time the Republicans and Democrats decide to work together, we seem to lose a little more freedom, and a little more weight.

From our wallets.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home