Sunday, March 21, 2010

For want of a horse...

I never knew my wife's Grandpa Burley Moyer. He passed away long before we met.

I don't remember when farmers used horses for doing the farm work either. Of course, a lot of Amish use horses for farming around here nowadays, but that is more from choice than necessity.

I do remember when I was a kid, they used to have horse pulls at the Mooreland Fair. Burley might have been there, but like I said, I didn't know him, so I couldn't really say.

I remember that I was pretty small, and those horses were pretty big. They had a big sled at one end of a dirt track, and the horses would pull it from one end to the other.

I remember that there would be a long line of men standing along the track, and as the horses pulled the sled down the track, more and more men would climb onto the sled until the horses just couldn't pull it anymore.

I remember that no matter how strong and determined the horses were, eventually, when enough people climbed on the sled, the horses just couldn't pull it any more.


I wish the politicians in Washington would remember that.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home