Saturday, February 27, 2010

CMPN

I saw a commercial on TV the other day advertising a paint that you could put on a Formica counter top to make it "just like new". Now, I know that isn't true, and most of you know that isn't true. I suspect the company that makes the paint knows it isn't true, and I imagine even the announcer in the commercial knows it isn't true.

I'd rather have the announcer just tell me that the paint might make your Formica counter top look like new for a little bit, until you use it a little bit. At least I'd think he was being honest while I decided I probably didn't want to buy his paint.

I understand that there are a lot of people in this country who feel strongly that it is the role of government to step in and make sure everybody in the country carries health insurance. A lot of them also feel that it is the governments role to make sure that everybody who can afford insurance for themselves chips in to buy insurance for people that don't have it.

I disagree with the people that feel that way. I believe government should have a much more limited role than that. But even though I disagree with them, I do understand why they might feel that way.

Apparently President Obama is one of the people that feels that way. And since he feels that way, I would expect him to tell us that he feels that way. But he also told us that his $1.5 trillion health care plan won't add to the federal deficit. I don't believe he believes that anymore than I believe it. And I'd just as soon he would tell us that.

My old buddy Stinky Wilmont used to say "Don't pee in my ear and try to tell me it's raining".

I think that is a fair enough request.

And while you're at it, don't tell me you can paint Formica and make it like new.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home