Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head...

This year, I'm going to have to put a new roof on the part of our house that we added on about 20 years ago. It's not like it's leaking yet, but it was a 20 year shingle when we put it on, and it's showing some wear. Besides, I figure it's always better to replace a roof before it starts leaking.

Back in 2004, the Libertarian Party candidates for Wayne County Commissioner and Wayne County Council, as part of their platform, suggested that it was feasible that Wayne County government could realistically trim the budget of each county department by 10%. The county newspaper, the Palladium-Item, said some pretty unkind things about the Libertarians' proposals in their endorsement of the Republicans before the election.

As I pointed out a couple years later, when the City of Richmond ran into some financial difficulties, the Palladium-Item recommended 10% cuts to help solve the problem.
Now we are finding out that the county's overspending is about to catch up with us.
According to the County Treasurer, in about six weeks the county won't be able to make payroll. I imagine a lot of people will start figuring out how to make needed cuts.

And I suppose I could wait until my roof starts leaking before I replace it. But I think it makes more sense to get out in front of it.

So I think that's what I'll do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home