Sunday, February 21, 2010

Who's the monkey now?....

I've never been to India, but I've heard the story that if someone wants to catch a monkey over there, they can drill a small hole in a secured gourd, and add some rice. When a monkey reaches into the hole and grabs a paw full of rice, it can't get its paw out of the gourd, and it refuses to let go of the rice so it could escape, even if it means it will end up as monkey stew by evening.

As I stated, I've never been to India, and I've never tried to catch a monkey, so I can't verify if the story is true. I have seen a lot of similarities, though, between the monkey in the story and people in the United States who insist on hanging on to things that are bankrupting our country.


Jacob Hornberger recently wrote about a plan to save the Titanic on his blog over at the Future of Freedom Foundation website. It describes how people on the Titanic refused to take the steps that could have saved the ship.

Now, I wasn't on the Titanic, but I'm pretty sure it didn't happen exactly like Jacob describes. The timeline for sacred benefits doesn't exactly line up. I guess my preacher might call it a parable. Or it could be called an analogy. Similar stories told to make a point.

There are a lot of parables and analogies that can be told about entitlement mentality in the United States today, and the impending financial meltdown that we are facing as a nation.

None of them end well.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home