Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Give and take....

I read this story the other day about a couple that willed $6 million to some local charities in Wayne County. The general concensus around the area seemed to be "Wow!".

It reminded me of a question that John Fund of the Wall Street Journal posed a while back:

"Imagine you won the lottery or otherwise came into a large sum of money, and you wanted to help the poor. You could give $100,000 to a private charity of your choice. Or you could write your check to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Which would you choose -- and why?"

So far, everybody I've discussed it with has opted for the private charity route.

If I had been in the Kluters' shoes, I would have chosen different charities. But it was their choice to make, as it should have been.

And I'm sure it will last longer than the two minutes it would take the government to take and spend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home