Saturday, June 11, 2011

What's in store for us?...

I'm not much of a grocery shopper. I usually start looking around, forget what I went in for, and come out with something I really don't need. My wife Susan complains that it costs to much when I accompany her to the store. I think maybe she said something about impulse buying.

At any rate, occasionally necessity takes me in, and I find what I was looking for, and I make it out of the store before the cart runs over.

Last week I stopped in for a couple of items on my way home from work, and ended up behind a young lady with a full cart at the checkout counter. She was busy talking on her cell phone, and only stopped and appeared quite annoyed when the clerk would pick up an item from the cart and explain to the woman that the certain item wasn't WIC voucher compliant. Her answer to the clerk on every non-compliant item was in that case, she didn't want it.

According to the WIC website, to be eligible to qualify for this benefit program,

"you must be a breastfeeding and postpartum woman, infant or child up to 5 years of age and: (1) are individually determined by a health professional to be at nutrition risk; and, (2) meet an income standard, or are determined automatically income eligible. A person who participates or has family members who participate in certain other benefit programs, such as the Food Stamp Program, Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, automatically meets the income eligibility requirement."

You can't always tell just buy looking, but I'm pretty sure this particular woman wasn't at any type of a nutrition risk, and I would worry that any child she was breastfeeding would be emotionally scarred for quite some time.

Never the less, I suppose she qualified for the help, but I can't help wondering why some items were necessary if someone else was paying for them, but not so necessary if she had to pay for them. And I wondered who paid for her cell phone, tattoos and piercings.

Before it was over, I wondered why the heck I went into the grocery store anyway.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This KILLS me, Rex. I hate seeing our money wasted this way. Example - A guy I work with (pretty good $) has 2 kids with his girlfriend. They don't feel the need to get married, because she works the system for everything she can get. As a "single mother," it would financially hurt them to be a married couple. Absolute craziness!!

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home