Monday, September 26, 2011

Pot luck....

Contrary to popular belief, the flush toilet wasn't invented by Thomas Crapper in the 19th century, although he did manage to make some notable improvements. The original invention honors actually go to Sir John Harrington in 1596. It's a little known fact that on the very day Sir John invented the toilet, his wife gave him a severe scolding for leaving the seat up.

For the last 415 years men have been forgetting to put the seat down, and apparently women have been sitting down without verifying the status of said seat. I never really understood why it was any more difficult for a woman to put the seat down than it was for a man to lift the seat up, but then I guess there's a lot of things I never understood.

Our 4 year old granddaughter Bekah spent the night with us recently. She's almost militant about insisting that the men in the house lower the seat after using the facilities, and to her credit, she almost accomplished in 1 year what women around the world have been battling for for 4 centuries. I'm doing better about remembering to lower it, but I do admit to the occasional slip-up.


The next morning, Bekah was entering the bathroom just as our 3 year old grandson Dawson was coming out of it. Bekah immediately complimented him on lowering the seat, and then proceeded to tell me that I should try to be more like Dawson.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that in actuality, he hadn't ever raised the seat.

Besides, I figured she would find out soon enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home