Saturday, July 16, 2011

Humble beginings...

Les Brown says that "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream". While I learned a long time ago to never say never, I do appreciate Mr. Brown's sentiments.

My bucket list (things I hope to get done before I kick the bucket), by its very nature, consists of things I've never done before. At my age, I try not to add to much to the list at one time. A while back, I added "publish a book" to my list, and recently I was able to cross that item off of the list.

But on my bucket list, much as in life, one thing often leads to another. A couple of weeks ago, Tom Butters, who runs the Hagerstown Museum and The Arts Place, asked me if I would like to do a book signing one evening.


I was a little on the apprehensive side, remembering that one of my publishing mentors, Chuck Avery, had once said that one of the most humbling experiences a person could experience was to have a book signing in their hometown.

To my advantage, I've run for office as a Libertarian a few times, so I'm not totally unaccustomed to being humbled.

I'm happy to say that I was humbled, not because people didn't show up, but because so many of them did. Occasionally some of them even had to wait in line. We sold a lot of books, and signed even more. It's looking like a second printing might be on the horizon. I hope I'm not to old to set that as a goal, anyway.

If you're into first editions, Stinky Shorts is available at www.StinkyShorts.com and the locations listed on the site.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home