Friday, January 27, 2012

Screw that....

Among my many faults is that sometimes I assume to much. We're building a house over in the next county, and today we fell victim to another one of my faults, that of not always ordering enough material for a particular job. While finishing up hanging the drywall, I was informed that we were about out of collated drywall screws. Since there is a lumber yard about a mile down the road, and since I naturally assumed that a lumber yard would carry collated drywall screws, I just naturally assumed it wouldn't be a problem. I quickly discovered that while every lumberyard in Wayne County carries them, nobody in New Castle does. I assume you can't buy them anywhere in Henry County.

This is what collated drywall screws look like.


They fit in a cordless gun that looks like this.


They make it so much easier than the way we used attach drywall, I just assumed everybody used them nowadays. Most of the salesmen I talked to today looked at me like they didn't know what I was talking about. I assume they didn't.

Sometimes I have the same problem with certain libertarian ideas. When I first heard Harry Browne explaining them 12 years ago, they made so much sense to me that I just assumed everybody would appreciate them as much as I did. One of the anchors of libertarian thought is the Zero Aggression Principle, or ZAP. It has to do with the realization that no one has the right to initiate force against another person or their property. And since you don't have the right to do that yourself, you don't have the right to designate another person or group of persons to do it for you, either.

Sometimes when I discuss that with people, they look at me like I'm asking them for collated screws.

Or that I'm just screwing with them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home