Sunday, July 15, 2012

The whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me Stinky...

Back at Millville Grade School, my old buddy Stinky Wilmont used to say that he would rather tell the truth 3 or 4 different ways than to tell a lie, and I will have to admit that he could be pretty creative with the facts of a story from time to time. I learned early on to use use a wary ear when Stinky was telling a story.
I'm pretty sure Stinky wasn't the only person to ever be guilty of this. I may have even tweaked the facts as I saw them myself from time to time.

This week I saw This Story claiming that Barack Obama was the most frugal President in recent history. I also saw This Story explaining why he wasn't. I imagine you could find enough versions of the truth on the subject to make old Stinky's head spin. This kind of story always reminds me of something I saw a couple of years ago about an unfortunate cowboy back in the 19th century by the name of Remus Reid.
One account of Remus's life went something like this:

"Remus Reid, horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889."
Another person, possibly one of Remus's descendants, chose to tell the story this way:

"Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed."

I suppose we all can decide which truth we want to believe, but I think Remus was probably just a horse thief, And I think all politicians spend way too much of our money. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about which one of them spends more.

And that's the truth.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home