Monday, July 11, 2011

You've got mail...not...

A while back I wrote This Story about a government office shutting down for lunch. For the most part, I trust that most government offices could shut down altogether without any permanent ill effects, but as long as they require us to do business with them, I don't think it is asking to much for them to keep common hours.

Today I stopped in at our local post office during lunch. Apparently shutting down the government at noon is catching on. The post office is closed from 12:30 until 1:30. So with a heavy heart and an unmailed package I continued my lunchtime errands.

I went down to the local hardware store where the employees were also having lunch. They asked me if I Needed Any Help, which I didn't, until I took my merchandise back to the counter, at which time Carla came up and rang me out, asked about the grandkids, and then went back to her lunch.

Since there is only one hardware store in Hagerstown, I guess Gary could close for lunch if he wanted to, but I think he knows that's not the way to run a business.

I guess the post office doesn't know that.

I was gonna tell them, but they weren't open.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rena Holcomb said...

I had the same experience last week at two different offices! But, I stopped at The Corner Oak and was greeted with a smile and picked up my copy of "STicky Shorts"--gotta love life in a small town--I am expecting everything to start closing on Wednesday afternoons like they did back in the day...

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really do need to put Post Offices back in Super Markets and Hardware Stores. The actually think they own the place and can set their own hours since they began building their own buildings. We sure have wasted a lot of tax money on Post Office buildings. And who made that determination about when they were closed? Some idiot in Washington, or the local Postmaster who actually lives in the same community as the people served?

(Pascvaks)

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home